Sunday 8 July 2012

Give with one hand and take away with another.

On Tuesday I got a lovely surprise. My dad sent me a letter with a cheque enclosed to 'buy myself a kitchen table'! He came over with my mum last week and we huddled around my table (which is a tiny outdoor garden table) for lunch. It is something I have wanted for ages but so far have put to the list of less important things to spend my money on. so I was thrilled.

Now of course, good things sometimes come with a cost. When I set off to drive to Warwickshire on Wednesday morning there was a horrible clunking noise in my car, as I set off down the road there was a nasty clank and something fell off and disappeared behind me on the road. Stopping at a kwikfit to see if they could identify what had just happened, it was to discover that a spring had snapped in my suspension making the car unfit to drive and in a nutshell, 3 hours and £240 later, the car was road worthy again. These are reasons to have an emergency fund (something I don't have since I have moved) so p'd off to say the least. Of course, when these things happen you don't bat an eyelid because safety is way more important than money but it was a very stressful day (especially as I was over an hour late for my rehearsal - missed it completely in fact) and had a performance that night. The day passed in a bit of a blur.

One of my good friends in the company (the wonderful wardrobe mistress) whispered to me as I got there: 'I've found your blog'! So welcome to lovely Freya or Naughty Pixie as she prefers to be known on here who is living the good life over in Norfolk. I have invited her to do a guest post on her foray into making her own Parma ham - and she is a wizz with a sewing machine! Don't be shy now Freya.


Remember how I said all of my neighbours seem to know everything about me? Well I have found the source of the leak. I had my suspicions after one of them gave me another bit of personal information about me that I didn't know how they knew and it, yet again coincided with a visit from my mum. My mum loves to talk and it seems has been systematically engaging in conversation with everyone on my street whenever she comes, always willing to proudly talk about me and my life. Bless her. 


I'm off to Jersey tomorrow for 5 days - could do with a bit more time to relax quite honestly as I am knackered, but when I am home I have a week off, so counting down to that.

Off to catch up with your blogs now.

12 comments:

  1. Hi Dan, what an eventful time, which you could have done without, mentally, physically and financially. As for Jersey and being knackered, mindful meditation.....10 minutes of zoning out could help to recharge your batteries. Good luck or should I say break a leg x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. watching crap tv and falling asleep on the sofa.

      Delete
  2. Haha, mystery solved! :) Bummer about the car, though glad it's fixed without any major drama (other than the galling £240!).

    So are you still getting yourself a table? I think if it were me I probably would, just because the cheque was given to you in lieu of a gift that they knew you wanted, so that you could pick your own.

    Looking forward to your post, Naughty Pixie! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm still going to get myself a table, because the way I see it, that was what that money was for, the car would have happened anyway. When I am back from Jersey I will do that rare thing they call shopping.

      Delete
  3. So when is your first kitchen party?
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soon as I get the table in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doesnt that always happen? Good for you on sticking to buying a table. Actually the cost of the car repair is not bad, up here in the North East of Scotland, t'would have been double that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dear - isn't it always the way - some wise person said - you'll never have any money when you own a car - how right they were.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mum was always talking about me, she was dead proud bless her.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my word £240....ouch. However you are so right, it's safety first and things could have been so much worse. I am glad you drive to a garage to get it checked out immediately.

    I had to smile at the source of the leak! Mums eh? :-)

    Take care, hope Jersey goes well. Jersey Boy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope this is all behind you. Life throws these things at us on occasion, but we get through it! I love that you are still getting your table, good for you! Can't wait to see how it looks, yay!!!

    Hope the show was a big hit!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Figured out how to log in :)
    Must check on the ham soon. Very excited!
    Also Rob has built me a raised bed frame!

    ReplyDelete