Monday 19 March 2012

A few garden photos.

I've been busy in the garden the last few warmish days and getting some things done.
Indoors I have seeds on the go


5 different types of tomato here. Lots of seeds all done well, so I will be giving some away to friends.

Leeks on the left, marigolds on the right.


I've always wanted a rose growing up the front of my cottage and finally got one in yesterday. Thought it would be problematic as it is a North facing wall, but after some research it seems that this rose (Zepherine Drouhin) does very very well on North facing walls so fingers crossed. It has lovely red flowers and is thornless.

Another rose in the front, this is a golden wedding floribunda.


Victoria Plum tree.


Kept my rosemary planted in a pot for now.


2 little box trees in my home painted pots.


Considering my profile photo, I thought that this Green Man would be lucky, watching over the garden.

12 comments:

  1. its very satisfying dan isnt it? hgetting your hands dirty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All looking good. You can give your seedlings background light by trying this. Get hold of a cardboard box, take the front down to 1 inch or so then trim the sides down at an angle from the back to the raised front. Either paint the whole thing inside with white paint or line it all with foil - shiny side facing out. Put your plants on the base and hey presto - light bounces back out onto them. That way they grow a bit more straight and hopefully not too leggy. I do this but have a mirror at the back - really helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip! I finally had some movement on my chilli peppers and peppers this afternoon, thought they would never come!

      Delete
  3. LOVE the Green Man, that's SO perfect! You should have a very pretty (and productive!) yard. Good job!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post is timed perfectly. J and I are sitting in the conservatory and have just been discussing planting a rose to grow up the north facing side of our garage! J likes the sound of lots of Lancashire red roses, and as I do the pruning I like the sound of thornless! Thanks Dan - I may have a Zepherine Drouhin very soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to be of help. They sell them at jparkers.co.uk by the way, for 5.99 (plus postage) I bought mine on amazon before I saw that however. With all the research I did, this kept on coming up as the North wall star (and it looks gorgeous.

      Delete
  5. You have been busy! I`m still waiting for my chilli peppers to sprout.
    Your commenting on my blog worked, by the way. Don`t know why you seem to have problems with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to know they get through, it must just be that the next page doesn't load, even though it is working.

      Delete
  6. now dan you need to join the local flower show committee
    I am the chair of ours! its great fun!
    especially as I am our first gay leader!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you think there is such a thing as a flower show in Rochdale! It seems highly unlikely. Maybe Burnley has one, Todmorden and Hebden Bridge, surely do!

      Delete